Wednesday, June 11, 2008

About how I was wrong

Remember down below, on one of my reflections of Paris, especially how I went on and on about the long grocery store lines, and people bagging all of their groceries before paying. I know there is more than one side to a story (that's why I'm a democrat, or an elitist) and I found the following tidbit through and a website called Polly-Vous Francais?. Here's the link to the blog and the money quote below: http://pollyvousfrancais.blogspot.com/2008/06/saying-hello-is-optional.html

When I made my first forays into apartment living in France, I used to have grocery store anxiety. Would I do all the right things, remember the steps to the French cash-register dance? Say "Bonjour, madame," then scurry to the end of the caisse to start filling my grocery bags. Wait to pay the cashier until I was mostly through loading the bags. (Otherwise, as soon as I'd paid up, the caissière would begin processing the next customer's items.) Then no matter what, saying "Au revoir, madame," and perhaps, "Bonne journée."


She goes on to do a comparison of grocery shopping in the states and in Paris. Too funny. It's true. It's the little things, everyday things, that really show the differences in a culture.

If you love all of these little cultural things, and have an affinity for Paris, visit http://www.theparisblog.com

No comments: