I've noticed recently that there are a lot of books, especially children's books, being made into movies that will be coming out soon. Here's a little synopsis for you.
The first is the only non-children's book, but a big book club favorite. The Secret Life of Bees is a beautiful book, that I actually listened to on CD. It might be hard for Dakota Fanning, who stars in the movie, to match the beauty of the reader's voice on my CD. Also starring in this movie are Queen Latifah, Alicia Keyes and Jennifer Hudson. It comes out on October 17th. On a side note, what's up with Dakota Fanning and Abigail Breslin getting every role for a girl between 10 and 14?
The Tale of Despereaux arrives in theaters on December 19th. It's based a Newbery medal winning novel by Minnesota author Kate DiCamillo. Emma Watson does the voice of Princess Pea. But look at the following list of voice talent for this movie; Dustin Hoffman, Kevin Kline, Stanley Tucci, Robbie Coltrane, Matthew Broderick, William H. Macy, Christopher Lloyd and Sigourney Weaver. Show offs. This is such a great little book- it deserves this royal treatment.
Inkheart is based on Cornelia Funke novel that's been on my list to read. It's been highly recommended. This movie stars Brendan Fraser, along with Helen Mirren and Jim Broadbent. Interestingly enough, it doesn't star Abigail Breslin or Dakota Fanning. One of the children from the Nanny McPhee movie plays the daughter. It must be one of those european casts. :-) It shows up in theaters on January 9th.
City of Ember is a children's science fiction book. I guess at this point, I'm calling it science fiction. I just started reading it. The big talent they've pulled in are Bill Murray and Tim Robbins. The young heroine of the story is played by the little sister of Keira Knightley's character in Atonement. I just saw in the a book newsletter that City of Ember is the first in a series of four books. I'll let you know if I finish the first and move on. The movies comes out on October 10th.
If you been looking for some steamy, unrequited vampire love, Twilight comes out on December 12th. The fourth book in the series just arrived in book stores to near Harry Potter book release zeal. No famous adults in this movie, but a lot of beautiful, pale young people. I've heard the book's a great, fun, quick read. But I might wait to watch the movie on DVD, so I don't have to listen to teenage girls squeal when Robert Pattison arrives on screen for the first time.
Last, but not least, Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince shows up in theaters on November 21st. And none too soon.
Can you think of any I missed? Especially any grown up books? Make sure to update your Netflix lists!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment