
Here are the boys and I on the pull out couch in the living room on election night. The only reason I'm allowing such a dorky picture of me on here is because they're so darn cute. (Please don't tell Sam I called him cute, he hates that. We've had to switch and call him "moderately attractive".) Jeff and the boys were all asleep when the election was finally called. I had to wake everyone up and tell them the good news. My bottle of champagne is still on ice. I'm always way too practical with champagne (practical champagne sounds like an oxymoron). I'll probably save it for new years eve.
After the election I was kind of catatonic for a few days. I became the sad joke in the Onion, "Obama supporter doesn't know what do with all her extra time." I think my main shock was that I backed a winner. Jeff and I hadn't voted for a winning president since 1996. We'd forgotten what it felt like.
After that I started a little "cabinet sweepstakes." Who will be nabbed for Secretary of the Treasury? State? HHS (Health and Human Services-Maybe Daschle?) Once I heard that Rahm Emmanuel was Chief of Staff, I was off and running. I noticed I wasn't the only one out there with a political crush on him. All of the blogs I meander through, with women from 25 to 50 were all, "have you seen Rahm?" Every girl loves that bad boy, ballet dancing, foul mouthed, ball breaker who "GSD" (gets shit done). I read stuff like "The hot to Obama's cool" and "Sexiest Cabinet Ever?"
After that I went and saw "W" at the movie theater. I was still going on about Rahm on the way to the movie, but boy, Dick Cheney squishing Colin Powell under his heel can sure be a buzz kill. I can hardly wait for our new, grown-up president to move in.
What else have I been up to? I'm waffling between the political and the pop culture on a daily basis-but I guess that's what defines me. I checked out the first book of the LBJ biography by Robert Caro. I've been intending to read it for a while, but some of the "full circle" stuff that happened with LBJ and this recent election is interesting, and bumped the book up to the top of my list. By signing the Voter's Rights act, LBJ said that the democratic party had lost the south for a generation (or something like that)-and the republican lock on the south start to break in this last election with NC and VA going to Obama. Also, LBJ's ability to get bills through both houses of congress seems very important now. Another guy who could GSD. He was also a lying sack of crap. Hopefully the GSD and lying don't go hand in hand.
On the pop culture side, I may set down the LBJ biography to read "Harry, A History" about the whole Harry Potter phenomenon. It will tide me over until "Beedle the Bard" arrives.
Other than that, we're all about home work, deer hunting, piano lessons and high school choir concerts. Oh yeah, and wondering whether Bill Clinton's international ties will screw up Hillary's chances to be Secretary of State.
No comments:
Post a Comment