Friday, May 16, 2008

Clothes, blech. Early Summer Movie Roundup

Enough already about me and my clothes, me and my angst. Let's talk about the new movies coming out that I should take me to!

1. Prince Caspian, the Chronicles of Narnia movie comes out this weekend. This will be the last movie I see before I head out of town. Sam and I are motivated to finish the book so we can see the movie. It's gotten good reviews, but it appears very battle oriented. I'll save the discussion of male fantasy authors fixation with battles, and female fantasy authors fixation with relationships for my dissertation. Also, when I look at the imdb.com profile for this movie there seems to be a lot of eastern european names of actors, not that there's anything wrong with that. But I think they outsourced the movie. And who are they kidding, Liam Neeson totally phoned it in.

2. Indiana Jones is coming out on Wednesday, totally milking an already long memorial day weekend for better opening weekend box office grosses. I'm not sure I'll get around to it. If I do, sadly it's for Shia Lebeouf. He cracks me up.

3. War Inc. comes out May 23rd. I can hardly wait to see this. I love John Cusack, it's funny, it's political, it's edgy. That may mean it never makes it to our local theater. I may have to make an urban road trip to see this one.

4. Sex and the City comes out May 30th. I'll probably DVD this one, once I've gotten through seasons 2-whatever of the TV series. I thought it was funny, but seriously, I only have so much time.

5. Savage Grace also comes out on May 30th. This one will not be coming to our local theater. Julianne Moore marries into a wealthy family and drags in all her weirdness and predilictions. I love that Julianne Moore puts herself out there. If I get this movie, it be on DVD. And it will be one of those movies that leaves you feeling a little disturbed afterwards.

6. Kung Fu Panda is the new animated movie with Jack Black. I've loved Jack Black ever since High Fidelity (see, John Cusack). If we don't catch this movie during the summer, it will be a definate netflixer.

7. You don't mess with Zohan has Adam Sandler playing a former Mossad agent who fakes his own death to become to become a hair stylist (huh?). I don't know about this. I'll have to wait and see what I hear, and then maybe netflix it.

8. June 20th has Get Smart and The Love Guru opening. Right now I'll watch anything with Steve Carrell in it. He's found that balance between being lovable, and cracking you up. I hope it's as good as it could be. I'm a little worried about The Love Guru. I'm thinking we've seen all the good parts of the movie in the trailers.

9. There are a lot of movies coming out in between, but I want to wrap up with Mama Mia! on July 18th. When I grow up, I want to have the perspective and joie de vive (or as the germans say, lebkuchen) that Meryl Streep has. There's a sad, ironic, story about how I missed seeing the live stage version of Mama Mia!, but let's not dwell on me. It's summer. It's time to laugh your butt off at the movies.

No comments: