Saturday, May 24, 2008

My big fat Chinese, Paris, Jewish Wedding

Hey all.  Step number one in the wedding was here, at the mayor's office.  He's a close friend of the bride's father.  I could fool you all and say he's the mayor of all Paris, but truly he's just the mayor of all of the arroindessment (neighborhood).  Still, nice digs.

There was champagne after the wedding ceremony, which was followed by a traditional chinese tea ceremony in the evening with beautiful asian music and singing.  The tea ceremony pays respect to the elders of the bride and groom.  Technically, I could have been served tea as well, since I'm Michael's elder, but they were out of chairs.

In the evening, outside of Irene's family restaurant was a huge party with much music, drink and food.  Make sure you check out "Dick's pix" link on the right.  Especially look for the movie of the brass band we followed from the party to the metro station.  Great accoustics.

Yesterday I explored montmarte on my own and had a beautiful Paris moment.  At the top of the stairs at Sacre Couer, I was looking down on the city as the busker, playing the violin, played "Belle", a song I've been associating with Paris since Nancy Mac turned me on to the musical Notre Dame.

Today we're off on the bus to the countryside for the Jewish part of the wedding ceremony.  Michael and Irene have been working so hard in all of their preperations.  It makes me glad I'm already married!  (props to Mr. Lisapedia-we celebrated our 20th anniversary the day I arrived in Paris!).

I'm having lots of fun with all the aunties and uncles and Abuelo Ricardo.  More later.

No comments: